Two end supports are provided by the experiment hardware: one is for entirely rigid end fixings, and the other is for horizontal motion. Both supports produce simple supports (knife edges), and their clamp plates produced fixed ends by restricting the test beam’s end rotation. The supplied fine screw jack mechanism with integral load cell applies a single point load to the test beams. The displacement of the test beam within its elastic and plastic regions is measured using a vernier gauge and this along with the load cell output connect display unit (sold separately). A set of mild steel beams are provided with further sets available. A comprehensive instruction manual for the lecturer and the students that provides complete details on the assembly and use of the apparatus as well as sample results. All necessary assembly and operating tools are included.
- Measurement of collapse load for a mild steel beam.
- Study of extra load carried as beam is made redundant by end fixing
- Demonstration of the theory of plastic bending of a beam section, and increase in bending moment due to redundancy.
- The apparatus provides two end supports which allow for rigid clamping or simple support of the mild steel beams.
- One support allows for horizontal travel.
- Three (3) test beams supplied.
- A screw jack with integral load cell, capable of applying loads 500N is provided.
- Deflection measurement available.
- Applied force and deflection viewed via display unit (not supplied).
- Must be used with universal Frame and Stand (sold separately).
- Must be used with display unit (sold separately).
- Comprehensive instruction manual provided.