The Unsteady State Heat Transfer unit is designed for the investigation of the temperature variation with time and heat flow within solid shapes that are subjected to sudden heating. The unit consists of a stainless steel water bath and integral flow duct with external water circulating pump. Adjustment of the thermostat allows the bath to be set to a nominally constant temperature before beginning the experimental procedure. The heating element incorporates internal thermal protection so that power is switched off in the event of the heater being turned on when not covered by water. However, repeatedly allowing the heater to overheat in this way it should be avoided as it will eventually fail. The control panel is provided having all the necessary wiring, temperature measurements and digital indicators.
- Water Bath
- 30 liters insulated stainless steel tank with top plate and mounting for solid shapes holder.
- The heating is by a 3.0kW electric heater with thermostat control while the water circulation is by a centrifugal pump with controlled flow rate.
- Solid Shapes
- 7 Pieces of solid specimens made of brass and stainless steel are supplied. The three different shapes are solid sphere, rectangular slab and long solid cylinder. Each solid shape has a built-in temperature sensor at the center.
- Thermocouples at appropriate places
- Software with service unit for computerized control of the unit