This Pipe Friction Apparatus has been designed for students to measure pipe friction losses for laminar and turbulent flows. For laminar flow study, an elevated head tank is used for water supply, whilst for turbulent flow, the supply is from the Hydraulics Bench using hoses with rapid action hose coupling. Students may control the flow rate of water by adjusting the flow regulator valve. Lab main water supply can be used for laminar and turbulent flow. The test section is connected to manometers via pressure tappings.
- The unit allows students to perform the following experiments:
- Measurement of pressure loss for laminar and turbulent flow.
- Determination of critical Reynolds number.
- Head loss measurements using tube manometer and mercury U-tube manometers.
- Inverted U-tube water manometer (0-500mm)
- U-tube mercury manometer (0-500mm)
- Adjustable Elevated cylindrical tank for constant head
- Tank capacity: 1~1.8 Liter (level indicator included)
- Maximum flow rate: 30 L/h
- Length (nominal): >500mm
- Bore (nominal): 3~4mm
- Needle valve included to regulate flow rate
The unit is supplied with Operating and Experiment Manuals in English giving full descriptions of the unit, summary of theory, experimental procedures and typical experimental results.
Note: Mercury will not be supplied with the apparatus due to transport Regulations.