This apparatus consists of two standard epicyclic gear trains for laboratory demonstration of gear systems similar to ones used in automotive applications. Each gear train consists of a sun gear in the centre, three planet gears, a planet linkage and an internal or ring gear. The sun gear, ring gear and planet carrier all rotate about the same axis. The planet gears are mounted on shafts that turn in planet carrier and meshes with both the sun gear and the ring gear. Pulleys fitted with protractors are attached to the input and output shaft so that torque and velocity ratios may be determined. Torques can be applied to the shaft by adding weights on cords wrapped on the pulleys. Bearings are used in the entire unit to minimize friction losses. The apparatus can be operated in one a variety of modes. Locking pins are used to holding different parts of the apparatus in position. This gives the user different options on gear ratios that can be applied between the input and output shafts. By changing the combinations between the first and second epicyclic gear sets a wide range of ratios and different output directions can be produced. Efficiencies can be calculated for the units operation as well as theory tables given for the different gear combinations. Acomprehensive instruction manual for lecturer and student, giving full details on apparatus assembly and operation as well as example results. All necessary assembly and operational tools are provided.
- Calculate and experimentally observe the angular velocity ratios of gear trains.
- Experimentally obtain the torque ratios of gear trains.
- Compute the efficiencies of gear trains.
- Sun, planet, and ring gear for each stage.
- Planetary and Star configurations can be obtained on both sets of gears and Solar configuration can be obtained on first set only.
- 48tooth Sun, 16tooth Planet, 80tooth annulus.
- Single or two stage epicyclic gear train. Either can be locked off for 1:1 ratio or Planetary or Star configurations.
- Torques applied to input and output pulleys and shafts.
- Input and output shafts can be reversed.
- Angular protractors on input and output shafts, 360°.
- Pulleys on input and output shafts.
- Comprehensive instruction manual provided.